Monday, May 24, 2010

school, huh?





Turns out we're here to study too. Weird. The reality of that set in as we had our first class yesterday. It seems our mornings will be spent at the tiny cafe below our apartment. literally outside our door. The owner hollered "Hey girl!" across the tiny cafe at me. Tony and Tony run it. They're great. It's an adorabe cafe that serves awesome cappucino and fresh croissants in the mornings. I snapped a photo of some classmates on our morning down here: (Lindsay, Ann in the red & black, and Scott)-->


However "great" they may be, semi-broke college students don't make great dinner patrons, so he's restricted our use of the internet past 6 p.m. This means we all hike down to the McDonald's to use the internet. Yes, you read that right. Rest assured it's more like a starbucks--scratch that, NICER than a starbucks. Mahogany booths, steel accents, a 42 inch flat screen that plays Disney channel all day.. I watched in disbelief as the barista squeezed me fresh orange juice. The cappucinos comes adorned with a decorative chocolate swirls, in glass cups and on a saucer. Don't believe me? I took photos (oh and I forgot to mention- the terrace overlooking Spinola Bay..):


It's almost comical how good the McDonald's pastry display looks, huh?


First day of classes went well, minus the light mist that we walked to the bus stop in. My Family Law professor is a bit heavy on the reading.. as in 180 pages out of one chapter that will comprise 50% of our exam. He's never taught the subject matter before OR any kind of international law, and has no idea how to pace the class. This means we didn't get through 45 pages of reading the first day. Hopefully he modifies things as time goes on. My Refugee & Asylum law professor is significantly cooler. She's a hippie of sorts. In terms of grading, we won't really be having a comprehensive final, she said we'll do small assignments that will comprise our grade. Overall it was good.


Just finished day 2. the AC was on today. When it's on, it's an ice box. When it's off, it's a sauna. peculiar given that it wasn't even unbearably hot today, but the stone architecture perhaps has something to do with that. Studying has been a struggle. I find myself staring off into space often. By "space" I mean:

this is from my balcony.
do you see what I mean?
Overall, I could get used to this.

On tap for this weekend is a day excursion to the Island of Gozo, it's part of the Maltese Islands, the middle sized island along with Comino and Malta. Take the bus to the ferry and then scoot on over for a day of wandering. It'll be good to get a lay of the land, since Matthew's Malta Surprise will be taking place on Gozo (I know you're reading this. I'm going to blow it before long, haha, it's only a matter of time.)

Stay tuned!
KB

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't want to know before, so you better not tell me too much! You'll probably do what you did at the Mall and pretend we're going to play some weird Dungeons and Dragons sword game to mislead me. That said, my surprise hint #1 is in the mail to you and #2 will be shortly behind :)